VDI 2.0 - VDI FOR THE CLOUD, HYPER-CONVERGED, AND MOBILE ERA
VDI 2.0 is built for the modern data center and the cloud and thus greatly simplifies VDI.
The complex VDI operational bits are moved into the Workspot Cloud. The virtual desktops images are deployed on hyper-converged infrastructure in your data center and operated from the Workspot Cloud. A workspace comes built-in with VDI 2.0 so you can deliver desktops and apps in a single unified springboard! (Don't just take our word for it, Brian Madden thinks it makes good sense too.)
vdi 2.0 = vdi simplified
Setting up VDI 2.0 is a SNAP! This 2 minute video walks thru just how easy VDI should be and captures the ease of the initial configuration and creation of desktops. [FYI - video has no audio]
How does VDI 2.0 work
- Add rock solid hyper-convergence in your data center to host the virtual desktops.
- Rack and Stack hyper-converged appliances.
- Configure VLANs.
- Create a template/master image for creating desktop pools.
Your first node should be up and running in less than a day.
- Install the Enterprise Connector.
- The Enterprise Connectors bridges the Acropolis infrastructure in your data center to the Workspot management cloud.
- This connection is highly secured by SSL. It’s an outbound connection from the Enterprise Connector to Workspot Cloud so no changes to your firewall are required.
- The Connector is automatically upgraded when an update is available and no other guest agents are required for desktops.
- To deploy the Connector, create a Windows server virtual machine to host the connector. This should not take more than 15 minutes.
- For every site or datacenter, just install a new enterprise connector and you have a global VDI 2.0 deployment.
- You have control and visibility over the entire VDI lifecycle without installing, upgrading and troubleshooting a complicated and unwieldy VDI stack at every site.
- Workspot ensures high availability, elasticity and reliable delivery of desktops and apps to your end users from any device.
- Prepare the desktop pools:
- Use sysprep and prepare an answer file (unattended.xml) to configure desktop settings and domain membership.
- Create a desktop pool from Workspot Control. Grab a coffee or play 2048. Should take 10 min to create a few hundred desktops!
- Assign desktops to users.
- Send out invites.
So what's next?
What if you can configure protection domains on Nutanix AHV and leverage Workspot Control to provide full site Disaster Recovery with RPO in less than 60 min?
Stay tuned…that’s going to be another blog post in January!
We've written a lot about VDI in the past, but now we're excited about what the future holds for this technology.